Thursday 21 June 2012

It's time- Gangs of Wasseypur

  If life was 'American Beauty' everything would flash past my eyes right now.  Only I am not dying.  I have been awake twenty hours and worked happily through those. But sleep eludes me.  It's 4.08am on the 22nd of June, 2012.    A very reliable and intellectual friend of mine suggested that I write a blog before the big day, "because life is going to change in a major way."  For the last many weeks, this film has been the only thing on my mind. Before that, it was always on the back of my mind. Every single day,in one way or another, it presented itself to me.  And since August 2010, it's been somewhere in the container of my body. Always. In a few hours the first show will happen. In less than 24 hours, it will be lauded ,dismissed or tolerated. I just got back from a screening and I think that in all likelihood the first option seems the most plausible. And I am not being optimistic,just observant. What if it's not enough? Not everyone loves everything? What if it's not understood? What if.....? What if? What if? This is endless. Scenes from the recent past emerge. The anxious first day of the shoot,the Hotel-Motel-less town of Obra,Sardar Khan,breakdown scenes,Nagma,tiff with colleague,reel-love,Ok international Hotel in Varanasi, Varanasi,Varanasi,Varanasi,Ganga,Filr cafe,cow,prosthetics,crowd,pack up,tears,Mumbai,the wait,Luv Shuv..., casting,banners, Cannes premiere, Croisette, Maggie Lee, promotions, small town,big town,flash lights, live interviews, newspapers, clothes,flights, Anurag Kashyap. Anurag Kashyap :-) I wish I could project straight from my brain on to the screen what is flashing past my eyes.  My mother patiently dropping me to Kathak classes, my first play, brother, attention seeking behaviour at a knee-high age, Father, mimicking teachers to hone skills,the Shivalik world of Delhi shoots,sweeping the Prithvi theatre stage, Barry John, Saurab Sachdeva and watching a houseful screening at PVR Juhu, 11pm. You don't have to be dead to watch your life in rewind mode. If you are nervous, it does anyway. Goodnight. Good morning maybe? It's 440 am already. The Gods must be waking up for the day. Time to say a little prayer and disappear.  Like an Olympic runner works four years for an 11 second 100 meter race, the fact the a new future is hours away dawns on me. We're Olympic runners.  It's time. And I think it's on our side.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful.... CoulD See Things in my Eyes too.... Best Wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Richa,

    You look very beautiful in Gang of wassepur, specially in a Sean when you are in a marriage party and you had goggles , i really fall in love with you dear. You looks Really amazing :)

    Wish you luck for your future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just finished watching it...not sure about the movie, but you will certainly make it big...phenomenal acting...you overshadowed every other actor in the all the scenes you were part of...googled for you and stumbled upon this.

    Luck and all that jazz to you!

    Best wishes,

    Another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with debanshu . You did overshadow everyone but manoj jit o experienced hai , he also had his charm apart from you :)

    Playing different roles of a wife,mother, pregnant woman running and yelling , facing sorrow etc did bring up some good pieces of acting in indian cinema .

    Anuag Kashyap must be appeciated for casting you as Nagma , you did 100 % justice and ofcourse I am expecting lot of film awards for this role . :) All the best !

    PS : My review gangs-of-wasseypur-my-review

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Richa, you are more than likely to realise your ambition of being a Meryl Streep calibre actor.

    Amazing really!! A Punjabi girl from Delhi (Stephens ka 'angrez' crowd) and you managed to portray a rustic Biharan so perfectly. I don't think Manoj would be able to play a Punjab ka ganwaar as authentically as you played the Biharan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me you left behind even Manoj Bajpayi, yes you did! and saying that, is saying a lot! Shine girl, keep shining

    ReplyDelete
  7. where are you these days.. no post.. write something..

    ReplyDelete

An unpopular opinion...

यहाँ इक खिलौना है इन्सां की हस्ती ये बस्ती है मुर्दा - परस्तों की बस्ती यहाँ पर तो जीवन से है मौत सस्ती ये ...